This is my sweet potato mac & cheese sauce recipe that satisfies my by Chloe craving while I’m not in NYC. I always order their sweet potato based mac & cheese, so I figured I would try and make something like it to satisfy the craving (and save lots of $$$ lol). It’s my recommendation to recreate a recipe for anything you find yourself ordering a lot. You’ll feel accomplished and making it at home is always much better for you!
Since I made this with a sweet potato (and I know that sweet potatoes come in all these different shapes and sizes), I highlight the ingredients and what they do, so you will know how to adjust the recipe accordingly to potato size. I made this recipe with a long skinny sweet potato. I guess I would consider it to be medium size.
This recipe is amazing with smokey flavors and mushrooms. You may add a little bit of smoked paprika to it and I love to add caramelized mushrooms. Slice the mushrooms into thin slices and let them sit in a pan with salt, pepper, and olive oil. You can let them sit a while in the pan because mushrooms have to take their time to cook. Then, I add in a little garlic or garlic powder with a dash of smoked paprika. Yum!
Sweet Potato – this is for the consistency and the color. they are also high in fiber and antioxidants!
Rice Milk – for a creamy smooth texture.
Nutritional Yeast – this gives the sauce its cheesy flavor.
Olive Oil + Cashew Butter – to complete the satisfying part of the cheesy taste, you will need some fats. Nutritional yeast without healthy fats isn’t complete for the cheese taste in my opinion.
Garlic Powder – always takes the sauce to the next level.
Anyway, here’s the recipe for my creamy vegan mac & cheese sauce!Print
Sweet Potato Mac & Cheese Sauce
cheesy, creamy, sweet potato-based mac & cheese sauce. vegan, gluten-free + dairy-free.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 25
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup of rice milk (or dairy-free milk)
- 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsps of cashew butter
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- salt + pepper to taste
- peel and chop the sweet potato. put it into a pot and fill with water. boil on high. once boiling, bring to medium low heat and cover with lid leaving a small opening. let this cook until the sweet potatoes are mushy.
- add the remainder of the ingredients into the blender. once your sweet potato is ready strain it and add it to the blender. blend on high.
- taste check and add more salt and pepper when needed. pour over pasta and stir and voila!
Optional add-ins: mushrooms, smoked paprika, herbs, etc.
If you liked the sweet potato mac & cheese sauce, then you may like my vegan sage pasta sauce! 🙂